FC Halifax Town travel to Sutton United this weekend in the Vanarama National League this weekend.
Here are 10 things you may or may not know about our hosts
- Sutton is a town based in Greater London.
- Sutton United play their home games at Gander Green Lane, which holds over 5000 people and has a playing surface of artificial turf.
- They have various nicknames, including: The U’s, The Amber and Chocolates and The Yellows.
- Famously, Premier League giants Arsenal visited Gander Green Lane last season in the FA Cup 5th round, where the Gunnners won 2-0.
- Sutton were the ninth non-league team to reach the fifth round of the FA Cup since 1945 and they earned over a million pounds for their cup run.
- They impressively defeated huge Championship side Leeds on their route to the fifth-round tie against Arsenal.
- Sutton started out playing in junior, local leagues, but progressed into the Athenian League in 1921; the Isthmian League in 1964; and the Conference in 1986. The team fell back into the Isthmian League in 1991. They appeared in the Conference for one more season in 1999–2000, and were founding members of the Conference South (now known as National League South) in 2004.
- Paul Doswell currently manages the club.
- Comedian Tim Vine is a big fan of The U’s.
- Paul McKinnon is Sutton’s all-time leading scorer with 279 goals in 525 games. He had eight spells with the club overall.
Read more posts by FC Halifax Town