Chesterfield: 10 Things
FC Halifax Town travel to Chesterfield on Saturday after a week away from Vanarama National League action.
Before Saturday, let’s take a look at ten things on our opponents.
- Chesterfield’s highest ever league finish was 4thplace in the Football League Second Division. This took place in the 1946-47 season when this was the second tier of English football.
- The clubs best finish in the FA Cup came many years later when in the 1996-97 season they reached the semi-finals of the competition.
- Burnley manager is a former player of the club. The now Premier League manager played for the club between 1990 and 1997 as a defender playing 231 games in those 7 years. He was captain for the club during their FA Cup run where he actually scored in the semi-final.
- Another notable player that played in that cup run was Premier league goal scorer Kevin Davies. The former Bolton striker played for Chesterfield for 4 seasons and left in 1997 for £750,000, a record fee received for the club. Davies went on to play once for England.
- The club are nicknamed The Spireites.
- Chesterfield have won the 4thtier of English football on four separate occasions: 1969-70, 1984-85, 2010-11, 2013-14.
- The club has also won the EFL cup. After winning the trophy in 2012 they also finished runners up in 2014.
- Chesterfield’s record attendance came in a game against Tottenham. 30,561 people turned up to watch the game.
- This game was played at the Saltergate. However, this stadium was demolished in 2012. Chesterfield now play their home games at the Proact Stadium.
- Ernie Moss, the clubs top goal scorer played for the club across three different spells. He also played for the club in three different decades. The 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.