FC Halifax Town travel to Chesterfield on Saturday after a week away from Vanarama National League action.
Before Saturday, let’s take a look at ten things on our opponents.
- Chesterfield’s highest ever league finish was 4thplace in the Football League Second Division. This took place in the 1946-47 season when this was the second tier of English football.
- The clubs best finish in the FA Cup came many years later when in the 1996-97 season they reached the semi-finals of the competition.
- Burnley manager is a former player of the club. The now Premier League manager played for the club between 1990 and 1997 as a defender playing 231 games in those 7 years. He was captain for the club during their FA Cup run where he actually scored in the semi-final.
- Another notable player that played in that cup run was Premier league goal scorer Kevin Davies. The former Bolton striker played for Chesterfield for 4 seasons and left in 1997 for £750,000, a record fee received for the club. Davies went on to play once for England.
- The club are nicknamed The Spireites.
- Chesterfield have won the 4thtier of English football on four separate occasions: 1969-70, 1984-85, 2010-11, 2013-14.
- The club has also won the EFL cup. After winning the trophy in 2012 they also finished runners up in 2014.
- Chesterfield’s record attendance came in a game against Tottenham. 30,561 people turned up to watch the game.
- This game was played at the Saltergate. However, this stadium was demolished in 2012. Chesterfield now play their home games at the Proact Stadium.
- Ernie Moss, the clubs top goal scorer played for the club across three different spells. He also played for the club in three different decades. The 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.
Read more posts by Ben Rowland