1) 1) Southport Football Club originally began as a rugby team in the 1870’s.
2) 2) In 1931, Southport became the first club from the Third Division North to reach the sixth round (quarter-finals) of the FA Cup, where they lost 9–1 to Everton. They have not progressed past the fifth round since.
3) 3) The club’s first ever promotion came at the end of the 1966/67 season, when they finished as runners-up in the Fourth Division behind Stockport County.
4) 4) Two seasons later, in 1969, they recorded their highest ever league finish of 8th place in the third tier.
5) 5) After winning Division 4 in 1973, they were once again relegated from Division 3 the following season and have not appeared in the third tier since.
6) c 6) Southport, like The Shaymen, are a part-time outfit but did briefly venture into becoming a professional club in 2006. However when former manager Liam Watson was appointed in 2008 the club began to return to semi-professionalism.
7) 7) Southport have won the Liverpool Senior Cup 11 times in their history, a feat only bettered by Premier League clubs, Liverpool and Everton.
8) 8) Southport made their only Wembley appearance in 1998 when they were defeated 1-0 by Cheltenham Town in the FA Trophy Final.
9) 9) The Sandgrounder’s league titles include the Northern Premier League (1993), Conference North (2005, 2010) and the Fourth Division (1973).
10)10) Comedian and Television Personality John Bishop made 35 appearances for Southport in the 1990-91 season.
Read more posts by Kelly Gilchrist